Sunday, May 27, 2012

All gave some, some gave all

On this Memorial Day I wish to remember all our veterans, those men and women willing to risk their lives for our freedom.  In a special way, we remember those who never came home.

I'm thinking of my dad and my uncles, who served in World War II.  By the grace of God they all came home.  I cannot imagine what it must have been like, to leave the safety of home and travel to a foreign country, to come under enemy fire, to see your buddies killed along side you.  I cannot imagine what it must have been like for my grandmother, grandfather and aunts, to say goodbye to your sons, your bothers, to not hear from them for long periods of time, to wonder if they were alright.

My dad was a U S Marine.  He was injured by a flame thrower while landing on a beach in the South Pacific.  His buddies saved his life by pulling him to safety.  He spent a full year in the military hospital in San Diego, receiving multiple skin grafts.  He received last rights of the church several times when it was uncertain if he would pull through.  He did and he went on to finish the college that he left to volunteer, marry and have 6 children.

Some time after meeting my wife, she confided in me that the first time she met him she was taken aback by the scars on his face. 

I had never noticed.

His story and the story of his brothers and family is one of a million stories.  People who gave their all so that we might have the freedoms and rights that we enjoy.

We have a responsibility to these people to exercise our rights.  So don't tell me that your not interested, not involved, or that you don't vote because it doesn't matter.

It mattered to them.

No comments: