Thursday, August 29, 2013

Having our backs

I recently received a couple of emails from a nurse concerned with a coworker who had been suspended pending an investigation.  I won't go into any details other than to say that the suspended nurse is well respected by his coworkers. The following is part of two emails between us.

Thank you for all you are doing to help our fellow co-worker, and by extension every nurse at Backus. I used to be against having a union but I think it has actually benefited us tremendously.  Thank you again for helping all of us and responding to my e-mail.  Hopefully everything will turn out okay.
Thank you to this nurse for her kind words.

I remember when we were organizing someone opposed to our efforts said, "They'll get tired of fighting management and in the end management will win anyway."
I thought, what a defeatist attitude, and I felt sorry for this person.
Sometimes it can be tiring for those of us most involved.
I know that not every member can invest the time that the officers and delegates do. Many of you have small children, elderly parents and other obligations and it can take a tremendous amount of time and energy.

Even the officers and delegates get tired.
It would be easier to sit back and let others direct our professional lives.

It just wouldn't be right.

Not right for us, and certainly not right for our patients.

So thank you again for these kind words. Your support is what get us up each morning to fight the good fight.
Knowing you have our backs makes all the difference in the world.


No comments: