Sunday, August 11, 2013

What really matters

My first born is in surgery as I write this.  That little boy whom I once could hold in one hand is now in the hands of the doctors, techs and nurses of UMass Medical Center.  They say it'll take 4-5 hours.
They've been great.
He fell 20 feet yesterday while working on a roof, and needs wrist and extensive facial repair.  I have to remember that it could have been worse, much, much worse.
They'll patch him up and in time he'll recover.

Years go, his brother fell out of a tree. Now they have both been helicoptered to a trauma centers.
I told them we have a new family rule.....keep your feet on the ground!

The outpouring of support, prayers and offers of help has been overwhelming.  I means a lot.  It really helps.
I don't know what to say about how I feel, there are so many emotions.
Tim McGraw has a song, "What would you do?"
It starts,
                                             
                                  He said I was in my early 40's, 
with a lot of life before me,
And a moment came that stopped me on a dime.

We all have things happen to us or someone we love that makes us stop on a dime.
Suddenly the grass not getting mowed, the house not being cleaned, the difficulty of losing those extra pounds, etc, doesn't seem so important.  We remember what truly is important, our relationships.

The phone rang as I was writing. The OR nurse calling with an update, surgery going well, still an hour or two to go. 

It's hard to remember to live each day as when you faced that thing that made your life "stop on a dime," but I think we should try.
Do me a favor, OK?
Sit with someone you love.
Have a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.
Watch the sunset, listen to the waves, watch the birds or the wind blow through the trees.
Give your loved ones a big hug.

In the end, "people" is what matters.


No comments: