Sunday, April 26, 2020

Corona Virus Update 4/26

I didn’t need to write a message today, today’s message comes from Minnesota Nurses member Emily Pierskalla: 

"If I die, I don’t want to be remembered as a hero. I want my death to make you angry too. I want you to politicize my death. I want you to use it as fuel to demand change in this industry, to demand protection, living wages, and safe working conditions for nurses and ALL workers. Use my death to mobilize others. Use my name at the bargaining table. Use my name to shame those who have profited or failed to act, leaving us to clean up the mess."

We are 50 days since our first confirmed case of Covid-19 in Connecticut 
We have tested 79,811 people
25, 269 have tested positive
1766 are currently hospitalized, down 44 today
1924 have died, 62 today

The downward trend in hospitalizations is a positive sign. So far, our peak hospitalizations statewide has been 1972, 5 days ago. It took 45 days from first diagnosed case to that peak. Whether we continue downward (and how quickly) depends on how and when we reopen businesses. More importantly, the steps we take will determine how many more people we lose. Five days ago we had already lost 1544 people.

Be safe,
John

No comments: