Saturday, June 27, 2015

So this is "retirement?"

I've heard people say they are busier in retirement than when they were working. 
Some things you have to experience for yourself.

I retired from the bedside on June 11, giving myself 2 1/2 weeks to "relax" before starting my new job.
But the world waits for no man.
I've spent 3 days in Danbury and another 3 signing papers and attending meetings related to the new position. 
Not that I haven't had company.  My fellow officers have been right alongside of me.
Oh, and that break that the organizing staff was looking forward to after the long days they've spent recently, I applologise to their families, that will have to wait.

I was in the office yesterday. I had one meeting and I organized my office so that come Wednesday (my first "official" day) I'll be good to go. 
I need to thank the staff for their patience with me for all my questions on where this or that is.
"Anna, do you dial 9 to get an outside line?"
God bless them, they'll have their hands full with me.

People have asked me if it's been a difficult change to be away from the bedside, away from my patients and my coworkers.
It's hard to say.  
I've been so busy and it's only been two weeks. 
I don't miss the stress of always feeling there wasn't enough time or help to do the quality job we wanted.

I do know this, advocating for my coworkers and our patients is a 24/7 proposition and one I welcome.
I understand there are changes in healthcare.  I recognize that some of them are for the good.
I also recognize that changes are taken by some people as opportunities to profit at the expense of the patients and their caregivers.
I see the same trend in education and public service. 

Beware of "privatization." It's not necessarily bad, but there's usually a reason someone wants to own a hospital, a school, or a public service.
One of my goals will be to always beat the drum loudly,
Patients Before Profits! 
Students Before Profits! 
The Public Before Profits!"

I have found an inspiration in my "retirement."
Larry Lewis lived in San Francisco. He lived to be 106. 
Until shortly before his death, he ran 6 miles daily, walked several miles to and from work and worked as a waiter.
Mr Lewis said, " When I hear someone say he's going to lay in the sun and enjoy his retirement, I know he's about to meet his maker."

Those my friends, are words to live by.



No comments: