Sunday, June 7, 2015

A letter to my members on my retirement

Backus Nurses,
As you know, I have been elected Executive Vice President of AFT Connecticut.
I start that position on July 1.
I considered staying per diem, but I know only one way to commit myself to my new position, and that is to be available 24/7.
As a result, I will be retiring from Backus after 21 years in the emergency department.  
My last shift is this Thursday.
I will also need to retire as president of the Backus Federation of Nurses, I will do so this Wednesday night at our executive board meeting. At that time, Michelle Hayes will assume the duties of president per our constitution and bylaws, for the remainder of my term.
Michelle will be an excellent president.
We are blessed that Melissa Hunter has served as Vice President in the past and will be there to assist once again.
They are both great leaders and will be guided by an incredible executive board.
I will remain as a full dues paying member of the local.

This is an very exciting time for me.
I join a team of officers in President Jan Hochadel, First VP Jean Morningstar, and Secretary-Treasurer Ed Leavey, whom I admire and work well with.  We hope to do great things with the help and guidance of the AFT Connecticut Executive Committee and Council and the Local Presidents and members.

However, I also leave behind a large part of my life.  It has been both difficult and fulfilling to work at the bedside for these 21 years. I salute you for your commitment to this work.

When I agreed to run for Backus Federation president, I did so because I believed we could make a difference in the lives of our patients, our families, and our community.   
When Jan asked me to run and serve as her VP, I accepted the challenge because I believe in her and I believe our team can accomplish much for all our 29,000 members.

It has been an honor to serve on the organizing committee and as your president. I hope I have helped some of you find your voice.  I understand there is still so much work for us to do.  At times it seems like more than we could ever accomplish.  I ask you to look at what we have done in the past 4 years and recommit yourselves to your patients, your profession, and each other.

I hold you out to the other members of AFT Connecticut as an example of a group that has stood up for themselves and the people they serve. A group that has overcome many obstacles. 

The Backus nurses are as much a part of AFT as any of our 1.6 million members.
Thank you for allowing me to be a part of that.

In solidarity and service,
John

No comments: