Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The role of "Government"

One of the big debates in our country right now is over the role of government. It is not a new debate and it is a legitimate debate. I think most of us want a governments that can take care of the basic needs of society but not be intrusive. I think most of us agree that some things are decided better by individuals, some by local governments, some by states and some as a nation.
But in my mind I think the real problem is that we have made government a "third party", it it is not, or at least should not be. The founders of our great country envisioned a nation "of the people, for the people, and by the people". I think they would disappointed to see that we now speak of the government that they forged as something we are not a part of.
Not everyone can hold political office, but we can all be involved, and by "involved" I do not mean merely complaining.
Complaining about the weather is great, it gives us something to do about a situation that we can not control, but our government and our society is something that we can influence, so complaining without action is just....well, I'm not sure what it is.
Asking everyone to become involved in "government" might be too large a step, but most of us are already involved in "society" are various levels. Most are somehow involved in youth sports, PTO, fire departments, church groups, etc.
My good friend Rick says I've become a politician, and when he first said that, I said, no, no! But he's right, I was elected to represent the 400 nurses I work with. To represent them effectively, I need to attend certain meetings and functions with management, elected officials, and other Union leaders. That's how the concerns of our nurses and our patients are heard. I am happy to do this because I believe in those concerns. I have seen how decisions made at various levels of government effect those concerns, and I want to influence that, if even in a small way.
I guess what I'm saying is that my involvement has removed that "third party" aspect for me. We all are a part of our society, our government.
Most of us will never hold public office, that 's fine, but it should not prevent us from being involved, being part of the solution. I think that's what our founding fathers hoped for.

Please vote today.