Sunday, June 26, 2016

A time to walk, a time to sit

Last week I wrote about my pride in my congressional delegation for standing up for reasonable gun safety.
A few days latter, I saw my congressman, Joe Courtney, and I thanked him for walking out during yet another "moment of silence."
Joe said congress gave 16 seconds to the victims of Orlando. "That's not even enough time to say the Our Father, I know, I timed it," he said. 
Joe's not a person who raises his voice but I could tell he was frustrated. 
This week, he, the entire Connecticut delegation, and others, did not repeat their walk out.

 They sat in.

 For 24 hours they staged a sit in on the floor of the House of Representatives of the United States. 
"The time is now" they were saying, joining their sisters and bothers of the United States Senate, who filibustered for the same cause.

We can argue if the second amendment speaks to individual rights or the rights of states to form well regulated militias, but we must also recognize that the Declaration of Independence states:
 "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

I'm not talking about taking everyone's guns.  I'm talking about reasonable gun safety laws, like No Fly, No Buy, and Universal Backgound Checks whether a gun is bought in a gun store or at a gun show.

Too many deaths, too many dead children.

The time for common sense reform is now.

No comments: