Monday, June 1, 2020

Corona Virus Update, 6/1

This Corona Virus that is gripping our world is not the only virus that we have in this country. We have a second virus, one that has been with us for way too long, a virus of hatred and discrimination.
It saddens me. It is ingrained in our systems. It shows itself in an unfair taxation system which does not ask the rich to pay their fair share. It shows itself in underfunded cities, schools, and healthcare that hurts us all, but hurts people of color and immigrants disproportionately. 
I wanted to express my desire for change and I wanted an outward sign of my feelings. I have seen some pictures of some police officers walking with protesters and some taking a knee. 
Those pictures say a lot.
So, I thought, maybe a Nurse taking a knee sends a message of solidarity with those who are discriminated against. I remembered this picture from a couple of years ago. I did a wellness check at a hunger strike protesting the deportation of a kind and gentle lady. The lady’s young son asked me to check on this older man. I post It to say this - we are all God’s children. We have an obligation to treat each other with love and respect, regardless of the color of our skin, and if my brother or sister is harmed, I will take a knee.

We are 85 days since our first confirmed case of Covid in Connecticut.
We are 12 days into our reopening.
454 residents are hospitalized, down 27 today.
3,964 have died, 20 today.

Please have your members file for Workers’ Compensation if they become sick from Covid at work. Reach out to your field reps or me if you need help in how to do this.  It could protect their paid time off, cover any hospital bills, and cover any possible long term complications. Even if the employer covers the hospital bills and the time off, long term complications are a possibility that we will not know about for some time.

Also, if any members have to miss time due to being sent home for having a fever, etc, please reach out. They may be eligible for financial compensation that they are not aware of.

Be well,
John

No comments: