Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Corona Virus Update 5/20

I come to you with a heavy heart tonight. Our second AFT Connecticut member, and our first AFT Connecticut Healthcare member, has passed from Covid-19.
Elva GravelineI, a member of Local 5123, a Patient Care Assistant, has passed from this horrible virus. 
On what I had hoped would be a happy day of partial state reopening, we are reminded of the seriousness of this pandemic.
Make no mistake, this virus does not care if you are a democrat or a republican, it does not care if you think it is deadly or it is not, it does not care if you think it is airborne or not, it does not care if you think it hits old and young or both.
It just doesn’t care.

We mourn for our sister as we mourn for our brother Jonathan Coelho, our probation office member who went before her.
Both gave their lives serving us.

I want to share a message I received from a nursing instructor (And AFT CT member) who knew Elva.
“I knew, sadly, that it was only a matter of time before someone I know passed from this disease. Elva was awesome to my nursing students when I was on 5.2 with them. A kind human being. 
Prayers to her friends and family.”



We are 74 days since our first confirmed case of Covid in Connecticut
We are in our first day of a reopening.
3529 have died, 57 today
887 are hospitalized, down 27 from yesterday

Please hug your loved ones, even it that needs to be virtually.
Be well,
John

As a reminder, counseling is available to our members through this link. 


No comments: