Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Advocating in the workplace and the capital

My friend Lesa Hanson said that when she became involved with the organizing drive, she realized that being nurse meant advocating at the bedside, in the boardroom and in the capital. 
I was remembering this as I flew back from Washington after a day of lobbying.
There were a hundred other ways I could have spent my two days off this week, but advocating for patients, students and our members is part of who I am, part of being a nurse. 
This is an important part of what we do as a union and I'm glad to be able to be a part of advocating for changes.
We have a lot going on at the hospital the as we negotiate a new contract and the rest of my week will be devoted to making improvements for our hospital and for our members, but last night it was good to be back home with Michelle, knowing I did my part to advocate.

No comments: