Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Finding Forest Gump

While mowing the lawn tonight, I was thinking of Forest Gump.

Come on, you know the scene.  Forest has finished his "shrimp boat captain" days and gets a job mowing the local football field and "cause I was a gazillionaire, and I liked doin it so much, I cut that grass for free." 

Riding my mower gives me time to think.  No cell phone, no one telling me what to do because I can't hear them, get the picture?

I believe that Forest Gump is one of the great philosophers of our time.
He may be simple, but he is open minded, kind, and thoughtful.
At the end of the movie, Forest is reflecting, and he sums up the movie and I think, perhaps, life in general.

He's thinking about what his Mama said and what Lieutenant Dan said, and he summarizes it like this,
  1. I don't know if Mama was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time."

If You had told me 20 years ago that I would be working as a nurse, blogging and involved in union business I would have had a hard time imagining it.  But here we are.
Life truly is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get, and yet, sometimes looking back, I can see that events in my life led me to exactly where I am.

Like Forest, I am a rich man, not in the material sense, but in other more important ways.
I hope that we can all find our inner Forest Gump.



No comments: