Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Crappy

C/O   N/V/D
(complains of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea)
Without this chief complaint there would be little need for Emergency Rooms.
The causes are varied.
Bad food, too much eating or drinking, IBS, and the most usual, a stomach bug.
When people start to ask the question, "Is there something going around?", the answer is always the same, "Yes."
There is always something going around.
The biggest problem is that N/V/D can be caused by so many things and occasionally they are serious.
Appendicitis, colitis, obstruction, diverticulitis, etc.
So everyone gets a workup, because to miss something serious would be bad.
So, blood work, urine analysis, IV fluid, nausea medication and sometimes pain meds.

Many times it's hard to come up with a definitive diagnosis.
You, the public, can help.

We will ask a series of questions and your answers will guide us.

The following is not helpful:
"How many times did you vomit?"
"Once."
"Is there any blood in your diarrhea?"
"I don't know, I didn't look."
OK, people, you gotta work with me here.

It's not that I don't care, I really do.
You wanta know what the worst case of N/V/D I ever saw was?
It's when I had it.
I am NOT a good patient, I don't do "sick" well.

So, if you ever have N/V/D, stop on down, we'll take a look and help you feel better and if there is something serious, we'll try and fix it.
Because having N/V/D really makes for a crappy day.



No comments: