Saturday, April 14, 2012

A big ask

I remember going to a staff meeting and someone complained again that the floors were taking too long to accept the ED patients.  I had started meeting with the floor nurses because of our organizing efforts and had come to realize that they weren't exactly sitting eating bon bons with their feet up either. When I voiced this observation, my bossed disagreed and said the floors needed to be more responsive to our needs. 

I thought, when did I become the reasonable one?

Keeping employees divided is an old trick.

This week I was approached by a nurse with a concern over something she received in the interoffice mail.  It was a copy of my blog with "Read and open your eyes" on the top. 

Whether it's a mailing like this or the decert drive, we need to realize what is happening.  Nurses are dividing against themselves and the only one winning is the Jackson Lewis lawyer and he's laughing all the way to the bank!

It's no secret that there are some nurses in favor of and some opposed to our union.  It's something nurses feel deeply personal about, like religion or politics. 

Like religion or politics, we need to respect each other's opinions and agree to disagree. It does none of us any good to be divided, in fact, it weakens us all.

In this spirit, I'm going to ask something of everyone, and I admit, it's a big ask.

I ask all nurses to refrain from negative actions against other nurses, this includes mailing, remarks, dirty looks, and the decert drive.  All these actions divide us.

If we work together, if we all take a place and have a voice at the table, we will make the type of union that benefits all nurses and our patients, and I believe this is something we all want.

I know this is a big ask, but please consider it.

I have one more, even bigger favor.  I am afraid some will not be up to the task above.  For them I ask your patience and forgiveness.  They are still our brothers and sisters, and injury to one is injury to all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Glennie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.