Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The washing of feet

Truly this is a special time to many people.  This week Christian churches celebrate Holy Week and Easter, our Jewish brothers and sisters celebrate Passover and Eastern Orthodox Churches celebrate next week.  In the Passover meal we share a common heritage.  Passover celebrates the Israelites freedom from slavery.  It was the Passover meal that Jesus and his disciples celebrated in what Christians now call the Last Supper.

During that meal, Jesus gave us what I think was the greatest example of how to be a leader. 

He washed his disciples feet.

In doing so he showed that a leader's role was to serve those he leads. He said to them, “Do you realize what I have done for you? You call me ‘teacher’ and ‘master,’ and rightly so, for indeed I am. If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another’s feet. I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do. Amen, amen, I say to you, no slave is greater than his master nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you understand this, blessed are you if you do it."

Saturday was César Chávez's birthday.  Here was a man who truly believed and lived the example of the washing of other's feet. He saw the dignity of every human being and worked to uphold that dignity and improve their lives.

May this be a time for all of us to reflect on what is truly important in life.

No comments: