Sunday, April 22, 2018

DTC

I few weeks ago I was approached by a friend about my Democratic Town Committee.
She said the committee was in need of support as those serving on the committee had done so for years and were looking for new people to become involved.
My answer was, “Of course, I’ll do what I can to help.”

I’m now chairman.

Political Town Committees are nothing more than the residents of a political party in a town who gather together to promote values and candidates that they believe in.
I have avoided being involved, even though I have worked on campaigns and even been a delegate to the Democratic National Convention, mostly through my activism in the union.

When I called the chairman and told him I wanted to get involved, he asked where I had been all this time.
It was a legitimate question and my “I was busy” was a poor excuse, although not completely untrue.

I’m not sure I understood the importance of being involved for most of my life.
Interesting, because I grew up looking at my grandfather’s multiple gavels from his years of service as President of the Rhode Island Senate and hearing how Irish immigrants became involved in politics.
Anyway, since becoming involved in my organizing drive at my hospital, and especially since becoming AFT CT Vice President, I see how if we don’t have a seat at the table, we’re on the menu.

So I find myself Chair of the Sterling Connecticut DTC.
We’re a small rural town of under 3500 residents, fairly equally split between democrats, republicans, and unaffiliated, with far too many unregistered.
My hope is that along with the dedicated members who have served so long on the committee, we can involve newer members and increase voter roles and participation.

I invite all town democrats to contact us and become involved to the extent they can and wish.
(And in your own town committees)
We are on Facebook https://facebook.com/SterlingDTC/


No comments: