Friday, July 25, 2014

Convention

"Maybe it should be called the american federation of people" said host Nicole Sandler.
"You could argue that, I'm not going to argue that, but you could argue that, " I responded.
Then I went on to explain that the AFT is a union of people who care for others, as educators, health care providers, and public employees such as public defenders and social workers.
Along with Lisa D'Abrosca, I was being interviewed for a radioornot.com podcast, Lisa to tell the L+M story and I to speak about the diversity in AFT.
I  both see the diversity and at the same time, see us as one.  United in our belief that our professions are vocations.
In the same way, we are united with others in organized labor, faith groups and community groups.
All believing that our role, be it as member, local leader, or state or national leader, is to be part of a movement to bring equality and fairness and respect to all people.
Funny, sounds a lot like what this country is supposed to stand for, doesn't it?
Of the many highlights of the national convention, and there were many, the speech by Reverend William Barber is one of the brightest.
I'll include the link, it's 40 minutes long, but well worth it.
The words of this southern pastor could have come from my lips, although certainly not with the same effect.  He is a remarkable speaker and leader.
He has reclaimed the moral high ground, and for the life of me, I don't know why we ever gave it up in the first place.
What he spoke of was what I grew up learning, that we should feed the poor, clothe the naked, care for the sick.
It's what we in the AFT have dedicated our lives to. 
It's what organized labor, faith, and community groups, working together, can reclaim.
Each of us has a role, and we may not know what that role is or how it may change over time, but to be sure, we have a role.
A role in making this a more just society.
Let us be open to the role that we may each play. Let us not turn away from that role when it presents itself. Together, we will reclaim the promise and we will make a more just society.

No comments: