Sunday, June 23, 2013

Summertime, and the living is easy

Summertime and the living is easy.
So says the old song.

Another song comes to mind.
To everything, there is a season.
Based on a section from Ecclesiastes, it speaks to the need for balance in life.

My dad used to say it another way, 
Never make any one thing in your life so overwhelmingly important that you would be devistated if you lost it.  Have many interests.

I have many interests, but I struggle with the first part.
I've been told that I would be a terrible poker player because I wear my emotions on my face.
There's another reason.
I tend to go "all in."

Commitment and drive and persevarence are great attributes, but they become liabilities if out of balance or without boundries.
Helping others is wonderful, as long as we remember that each of us are free to accept help or not, and ultimately are responsible for our own choices.
Believing in a cause has accomplished great things thoughout history, but has caused great evil if we do not accept differrences of opinions.

For me, the beginning of summer marks a time to stop and examine if there is balance to my life, a season for everytning.  If not, then it's time to adjust.
Then and only then, will it be true, 
that the living is easy.

No comments: