Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Technology

Technology is everywhere!  Without doubt, there is good in it, but there are dangers also.
In medicine we have a saying, "Treat the patient, not the monitor" It means to treat what you see because technology can fool you.
Have you seen people sitting together for lunch, both on smart phones texting away but not talking?  Now, maybe there's something important going on that they need to deal with right away, but maybe not. 
I've had people sitting in the triage chair text their friends to tell them where they are instead of answering my questions.

I speak from personal experience. You see, I can be a bit of a geek at times and I'm as guilty as anyone, just ask my wife.  We have been at lunch and I have been the one on the smart phone and she's let me know about it.

She's right.

It's more than just rude.  There are only so many hours in a day, so many days in a life.  I think it's important to examine how we spend that time.
There is a balance, I'm sure.  Nothing is all good or all bad.

I guess the question to ask myself is this:  Is technology, or anything for that matter, enhancing my life or diminishing it?

One final note, while you ponder this question in your life. 

There are certain blogs, which by their nature, only enhance your life.

No comments: