Thursday, January 5, 2012

Maybe it's just me

My phone rang at 4:22 AM on New Years Day.
My first words of the new year, "what the hell".

I figured it was work, but then I thought, what if it's not. I always worry about family when I get night time calls. I stumbled to the phone in the next room, trying to clear the sleep from my eyes.
"William W Backus" on the caller ID.
The phone had tripped to voice mail by the time I got to it. The message was asking if I could come in early, before my scheduled 7:00 AM start. I collapsed back into bed, my thoughts on how I would be getting up in 30 minutes anyway.
"What the hell", this time silently.
I returned to the phone, called in and told them I would be there as soon as possible.

It's what we do. It's the nature of the business, we can get busy at the drop of a dime. We deal with it. We help our coworkers out.
When the crap its the fan, you know who to call.

It was very busy when I got there. I transported someone to CCU and a few people who had drank too much the night before got rides home and things settled down.

The next day, Monday, the 2nd, was crazy busy. Most of the primary doctor offices were closed. At one point we had every stretcher, including hallways, full and still had 20 in the waiting room. We saw 219 patients before the day was done.

Two things both days had in common, they were "holidays" for supervisory staff and we handled it.

Which brings me to a point.
If you want something done right, don't do it yourself, ask the people who actually DO the job.
I believe our team could handle anything thrown our way and it makes me crazy when someone who doesn't do my job tells me HOW to do my job.

Seems to me that if I thought I had a good idea, and it involved the cooperation of other people to work, I would want to involve the people who do the work from the beginning.

But, maybe that's just me.


No comments: