Thursday, March 24, 2011

NEVER AGAIN!

Recently I received a text from a young nurse, in her 20's, she's been a nurse only about a year.
"It's not getting any easier to work up on here. It's getting harder and harder to want to come in. The patient assignments are ridiculous and some people are getting pushed to the side because I have an admission and another patient is going bad. I became a nurse because I want to help them feel better. Whether it's from relieving pain or being a gentle ear. I can't work with 6 patients that have wound vac's and g tubes and have the Admission along with a patient going into CHF or having chest pain and still feel like I'm good at my job or keeping my patients safe. It's getting really frustrating. I feel the need to share my frustration with you because I know you're frustrated too. I just don't know how much more I can take of it."
I told her that she was justified in her feelings, and that's why we are working on forming our union. But it wasn't very satisfying. I want to do more. I want to go up to her floor and stand next to her when she's feeling pushed to the edge and give her a hand. You can mess with me, but don't mess with my young nurses. They are the future of our profession. They are bright and energetic, but they have limits and they need our support. If for no other reason, this text legitimizes all the work we have poured into this union effort.
Never again at Backus Hospital will someone sitting in an office make decisions that drive a young nurse to feel like this, not without our pushing back!
We are many, we are strong, we are ready!

No comments: