Monday, September 4, 2017

Practicing what we preach

This weekend in church, in honor of Labor Day, we prayed for all union workers, all day laborers, all teachers, all healthcare workers, etc, and for dignity, respect, and a living wage.

I don’t think I’ve every been so proud of my faith.

This morning, we marched in Hartford with Fight for $15.

It is my belief that any business that is doing well enough financially that it can afford to pay its workers a living wage, has an ethical obligation to do so.
To be financially able, and to refuse to do so, is ethically wrong to the employees and to society.
It keeps employees as indentured servants and shifts costs of food and shelter to society, while individuals in power reap the benefits.

I’m not taking about small mom and pop stores who struggle to survive.
I’m taking about businesses in which the owner or CEO is able to make 6 or 7 figures or more and who underplays their workers out of greed, not necessity.

It’s not just wrong, it’s ethically wrong.

I also believe that those who come to our country in search of freedom or a better life, have a right to live peacefully in this country.
It the path most of our ancestors took.
Building a wall instead of caring for each other is wrong.
Deporting children and adults who have peacefully made this their home in wrong.

It’s not just wrong, it’s ethically wrong.

Almost all faiths, almost all philosophies, teach that we have an obligation to help the least amongst us.
Certainly my faith does.

As Matthew wrote,”For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
“Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

We pledge allegiance to a country “under God.”
We put “in God we trust” on our currency.

If we truly believe this, then we should practice what we preach.

No comments: