Saturday, September 2, 2017

Labor Day 2017

"Where ya from?"
The voice came from behind me while waiting in line to order chowda and clam cakes at Aunt Carrie's (Point Judith, RI) last weekend.
Turning, I replied, "Connecticut."
"I saw your T-shirt, What union?" He said.



"AFT. You in a union?"
"No, but I'm a union supporter.  I just believe in fair wages and equality for all," he replied.
I thanked him, got my chowda, and wished him well.

That man understands the movement and Organized Labor.
He understands the power that comes when workers stand in solidarity.
He understands that the need for the right to organize and collectively bargain to be protected.
He "gets" it.
He understands how workers who are union have helped workers who do not yet have that opportunity.  I'm sure he knows about the fights for weekends, 40 hour work weeks, an end to child labor, FMLA, worker safety laws, minimum wage, healthcare and retirement security, migrant rights, and more.

But we who are lucky enough to be in unions must also understand the role that the non-unionized supporters of the movement play.
People like this man.
People in community advocacy groups.
The clergy.
The civil rights movement.
The gay rights movement.
Women's suffrage.

Need I go on?

This is a movement of equality.
And if all people are to be considered equal, we in the labor movement must first accept our role in the greater "movement."

One small gesture by this man reminded me of this.
Happy Labor Day.

No comments: