Friday, October 16, 2015

An open letter to my mobiliztion sisters and brothers


Sisters and brothers,

Thank you.
For all the hard work and dedication that went into this week.
More than that, thank you for the love and guidance.

When I met Jan and Ed, they told me about these "mobilizations" and how they had changed their lives.
They tried to explain it to me and I think on some level I got it, but some things I just have to experience myself to fully understand.

When I started the week, I understood the "why."  (That's the peanut butter story right?)
The "why" is the Movement, the members, the people. It is helping them find a voice and use it.
Through the course of the week, I think I started to understand the "how."
I learned through the presentations, but more, though the many conversations I had with so many people, especially the team leads, who came in from many states with the experience of other mobilizations and organizing drives behind them.

I have so much more to learn.
But I have also learned so much.

I also realized this morning that this week was an organizing opportunity.  Every conversation moved me a little further along in my understanding.
(Almost like as if there were "Leader Links" or Lynx of a chain)
So, I was not just learning how to organize, I was being organized!

Well played my friends, well played.

I must go because I have work to do and doors to knock but once again, thank you and I look forward to being with you all again.
I'll leave you with these two final thoughts that I heard this week.

Every decision is a moral decision.
Every conversation is an organizing opportunity.

In solidarity,
John

No comments: