Saturday, July 18, 2015

Advocating still

Jean Morningstar asked me this week if I missed bedside nursing.
Truth be told, I've been so busy that I hadn't thought about it.

One of the best nurses I've ever worked with, Lesa Hanson, said that when she became involved in our union organizing drive she came to understand that advocating for patients meant at the bedside, but also in the boardroom and at the capital.

I've been busy advocating, just not at the bedside.
What's new is that now I'm not just advocating for patients, I'm advocating for patients, students, the public, and the dedicated people who work in healthcare, education, and public service.
It's an incredible honor.

This blog is my 500th.
My first one was on March 1, 2011.
So much has happened in that time, but so much is also the same.
The title of that first blog was remarkably, "Advocating."

In it I wrote, "One of the roles of a nurse, one of the most important roles I think, is to advocate for his patients."
There are so many dedicated people in the "caring professions."

I'm advocating for all of them now.

Maybe the day will come when I have a daja vu moment and miss the bedside.
I don't know.
I do know that right now this is the place I need to be and the role I need to fill.
I just feels right.

In this my 500 blog I would be remiss if I did not thank my editor, Ole, who has helped me find my voice.
Finding that voice has brought certain people and situations into my life that have led me to this role.
Thank you brother.

No comments: