Saturday, January 31, 2015

Is it too much to ask for a little Respect here?

Not feeling the love from management this week.
No one big thing, just a lot of little ones that add up to a whole lot of lack of respect.

Why is it so hard for some managers to understand.
Certain professions, nursing being one of them, inherently look at their role as more than a job, they see it as a calling.
If managers would only understand this, their lives would be so much easier.
It's not about pay, or benefits. It's about the ability to be able to properly care for our patients and be treated with respect.
If they would just give nurses the time, resources, independence, and respect they desire, the manager's job would be done.
Instead, they often seem intent on creating an punitive atmosphere, where nurses are always listening for footsteps coming up behind them to tell them they are too slow, or their charting isn't perfect, or this or this or this.

I don't get it.
Management isn't rocket science.  You treat people with respect, you support them, you are clear on your expectations, and the majority of people will respond in a positive manner.

One of the reasons I like to get away to union conventions is because when I'm there, I'm treated with so much respect.  It's a refreshing change from working at the hospital.

Last May I wrote a blog about this.
http://backusunited-john.blogspot.com/2014/05/my-story-my-dream.html

In it I wrote:
Candice Owley, an AFT VP,  stopped me in the hall in Baltimore the other day. She wanted to introduce me to the lunchtime speaker. She said the speaker and I were both story tellers and then said some nice things about my blog. When Candice introduced the speaker to the gathering, she dropped my name into the intro, retelling our conversation in the hall.  She didn't have to do that, but she did, and it was a great sign of respect.

It was a week of respect, and that is what drives our movement, the belief that we should live in a world where all workers are respected, where they receive a living wage, not dependent on their gender, free of discrimination, in a safe work environment, without child labor, with quality public education, and with the ability to retire in dignity.

If management could understand this concept, their lives and certainly our lives, would be so much better.



No comments: