Thursday, January 1, 2015

A look ahead to 2015

Yesterday, I took a look back.
Today, I look ahead.

I have no crystal ball, I cannot predict the future, but I can tell you my hopes, my dreams.

I hope to write more, and eat less, walk more, and worry less.
(OK, not the first year for these)

I hope we can move towards a nation that is more tolerant of each other, more agreeable to finding common ground. A nation where we truly live by the words in our Declaration,
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men (and women) are created equal."

As a Union, I hope the Backus Federation of Nurses will continue to increase member involvement in the running of the union, our voice within the hospital, and our connection to the community.
We have negotiations starting soon on a new contract.  I hope for a successful session with strong member involvement.
I believe it is a chance to build our union.

In fact, building the movement is the theme of my hopes for this year.

In the September SVFT newsletter, Jan Hochadel said,
"And we have to continue to build a labor movement that is worth believing in."
Jan and I have had long conversations about this.

We need a movement that is above reproach, as those who oppose us delight in pointing out our faults as the norm and not the exception.
We need to be transparent in all our actions.
We need to remember that as leaders, we serve our members.
We need to engage members where they are, because our numbers are our strength.
We need to involve the community, because community is the new density.
We need to continue to advocate for worker's issues, such as sick leave, a living wage, and affordable, accessible healthcare for all.
We need to organize, organize, organize, because others deserve a voice.
We need to stand up to the Koch Brothers and the Walmarts of this world, because those who put profits before patients, students, or the community must never be allowed to win.

How do we do all this?
That's the big question isn't it?

We have to be able to see the big picture, but we also have to take care of the everyday details or we'll never get there.
As they say, we have to "plan our work and work our plan."

Everyday we need to ask ourselves, "what have I done for the movement today?"

Those are my hopes for the coming year.
I've been called a dreamer before, it doesn't bother me. (I've been called worse)
Are they possible?
I believe they are.
I know I couldn't live with myself if I didn't try.
I hope you feel the same.



No comments: