Sunday, September 21, 2014

Recognizing and Respecting

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader!" John Quincy Adams, 6th U. S. President

I picked up that quote at a hospital workshop this week.  Much of the workshop dealt with communication and leadership skills, like being in the moment and spending half your time developing others
Good stuff for my personal life and my union work.  As for hospital work, well, I can only change myself, which of course, is the point.
So now, after going though many such workshops over the years, under many re-manufactured titles, and seeing no major improvement at work, I keep my hopes low as a self defense mechanism.

Know what I mean?

But more important, how can I use these principles in my own life?

My union, AFT Connecticut has some of the finest presidents, executive boards, members and staff as you will find in any organization.
That was on display this Saturday at the State Healthcare Conference, a one day workshop on subjects such as testifying at the statehouse, HIPPA and social media, bullying in the workplace. legal rights, and more.
The presenters were great and the questions, comments, and discussion from the audience just as great.

It's good to step back, "be in the moment," and realize the talent that I am surrounded by.
I don't have to be an expert on everything, nor to I, or can I, be the one who does everything.
I do have to realize the talented people around me, show them the respect they deserve, and listen.
I also have to involve these talented people in the formulation, administrating, and monitoring of our plans.

I find that when I so this, people respond by dreaming more, learning more, and doing more.





No comments: