Saturday, November 9, 2013

One option

The other day I got an email of desperation from a real good recovery room nurse.  I want to share it with you.

I know you have heard this over and over again but it has to be dealt with.  I left work yesterday crying and on the verge of quitting.  We had one call out and even without a call out we are in crisis mode.  We can't even go pee. The most recent saying from our clinical coordinator is I know your not ready but another one is coming out for you. (from the OR)  This is unacceptable.  We have two people hired to start in December but not enough staff to train them appropriately.  I know she, Judy, is going to expect us to take Pt's and train someone.  This is unacceptable.  We need travelers to help get us through and the OR gets them but we don't.  Everyone is aware of our situation but nothing gets done.  We have one traveler but its not enough and he is done late Nov.  I need some push on this issue.  Please help.

I responded by forwarding the email and the following to the hospital CEO, two vice presidents and the director of Quality for Hartford Healthcare.

Can someone please tell me how our continued, daily, beating to the pulp of nurses, not only in PACU, but throughout the hospital, is in the best interest of the organization, the employees, the patients or the community? 
It is a patient safety, patient satisfaction, and quality issue and it is an employee moral and retention issue.
Thank you for your consideration,
John

The next day PACU was better staffed.

Maybe it is because I have been patient for so, so, long.
Maybe it is because my nature is to cooperate, not confront.
Maybe it is because I cannot stand to see our nurses continuously disrespected.
Or maybe, I am just maturing as a Union President.

I will no longer stand bye and watch good nurses be bullied or harassed by management. 
I will  not watch them be short staffed.
I will not watch them be placed in a position to be injured.

There are two ways to receive respect.
It can be granted voluntarily by the other party, or it can be demanded and faught for.  
I have waited patiently for the respect to be granted to our nurses, it has not come.
That leaves one option.

No comments: