Saturday, September 12, 2020

Thank you Backus Nurses

 My sisters and brothers of the Backus Federation of Nurses,

It’s been a tough year for you. You’ve been on the front line of the worst pandemic in 100 years. Every day you don your scrubs and masks and go at it again. You do it because you’re nurses. It’s what we do. Frankly, I’m not sure I would have the stamina if I was still in the ER. 

Tomorrow you have an important decision. You will vote on whether or not to authorize a strike. You know the reasons and you also know the risks. You have been involved since the beginning. You have attended open negotiations, informational town halls, planning meetings, and informational pickets. You serve as delegates, executive board members, on the negotiation team and on the CAT (contract action team)

I will not insult your intelligence by telling you how to think. 

But I must respond to the disrespectful and repeated emails that Donna Handley has been putting out to all of you. The underlying theme of the emails is that you can trust her. 

You’re intelligent people. I’ll let you decide on this matter. 

I offer you the extreme gratitude of the 30,000 members of AFT Connecticut and the 1.7 million members of AFT - American Federation of Teachers. 

To us you truly are heroes. 

Solidarity and gratitude,

John


John Brady 

AFT Connecticut Vice President 

Proud member of Local 5149, Backus Federation of Nurses 



No comments: