Sunday, August 25, 2019

Asylum seekers

While I was in church last night my thoughts drifted to the father and son I met in the airport last week in McAllen Texas.
I wonder how they are.
I like to believe that they made it to Dallas and were united with family.
If so, then their lives must be remarkably changed and better.

Some of the stories we heard are almost impossible to comprehend.
Such as a mother and little daughter walking for 3 months to reach the border.
Who does that?
Certainly not someone looking for the streets of gold or hoping to make a higher wage in the U.S.
The people who do that fear for their children’s lives.

I’m reminder of what Matthew writes about.
Shortly after the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem, having been warned in a dream by an angle of God, Joseph took Mary and his infant son and fled to Egypt.
They were asylum seeks, fearful that King Harold would kill Jesus, because he saw him as a threat to his crown.

My prayers are with the father I met, the mother who’s story we heard, and all those who fear for there children’s safety.

My prayers are also with those who do not understand.
Why is it so hard for people who identify as followers to see the similarity between Joseph and the father I met in the McAllen airport?

No comments: