Saturday, August 22, 2020

A letter to educators from a nurse

 A letter to educators from a nurse. 

My sisters and brothers,

Today, on the eve of schools reopening, I’d like to address the teachers, paraprofessionals and school support staff that have become as near and dear to my heart as the nurses I used to work side by side with. 

It is an honor to serve as Executive Vice President of AFT Connecticut. In that role I get to represent an incredible group of Public Employees, Nurses & Health Professionals and educators. 

Our educators are incredibly dedicated professionals, each and every one of you.

You care as much about your students as I cared about my patients. 

I tell people I became a trauma nurse instead of a teacher or PSRP because I didn’t have the courage to stand at the front of a classroom. While there are many differences in our roles, there are also at least as many similarities. 

You do not do this for the glory or for the money, you do this because something inside you says you must. You MUST do what you can to leave this world better than you found it. 

I get that. 

I TOTALLY get that. 

THAT is what binds is together. Nurses and healthcare professionals, teachers and PSRPs, and public servants. 

It’s what makes us a union of caregivers. 

So, as you prepare to go back to school, I know you have concerns and worries. For your own health, your family and your students. 

This is understandable. 

Please know that Your Local, state and national officers understand and care. Please know we fight for you and your students every day. Please know we will not abandon you. 

I am available 24/7 for any questions. Jan Hochadel is in constant contact with the leadership of your local and those in state and municipal leadership. Divisional VPs Mary Yordon and Shellye Davis are incredible advocates on your behalf, and Randi Weingarten has your back. 

Please also remember that our school nurses stand ready to help. 

Your dedication to education is deeply appreciated. 

We cannot predict what the school year will look like, but together, with your leadership, we will do the best we can in this situation. 

Be well and be safe. 

No comments: