Saturday, January 25, 2020

Pope recognizes dignity and worth of our work

In 2018, Pope Francis departed from a prepared text to praise this nurse:

“With your permission, I’d like to pay tribute to a nurse who saved my life. She was a religious nurse: an Italian Dominican sister, who was sent to Greece as a professor, highly educated … But as a nurse, then, she arrived in Argentina.

And when I, at the age of twenty, was at the point of dying, she was the one to tell the doctors, even arguing with them, ‘No, this isn’t right, we need to give more.’ And thanks to those things, I survived. I thank her so much! I thank her. And I’d like to say her name here, in your presence: Sister Cornelia Caraglio. A great woman, brave too, to the point of arguing with the doctors. Humble, but sure of what she was doing.”

Our nurses, midwives and healthcare workers; our teachers, Para educators and school support staff; our public service workers, are nothing without the ability to advocate for those we serve, as Pope Francis says so well, “even arguing with them (those in power).”

It is our duty.
It is our right.
It is possible when we stand together in unity.
#unionpower AFT Connecticut AFT - American Federation of Teachers AFT Public Employees Connecticut AFL-CIO

Pope expresses support for year of the Nurse and Midwife 

No comments: