Thursday, February 22, 2018

#Enough

Enough is the cry coming out of Florida after another school shooting last week.
Another week, another school, another mass murder.
But somehow this feels different.
The reaction feels different.

Maybe it’s because it’s Florida, a state that for several years has eased gun control laws.
Maybe it’s because unlike Sandy Hook, Las Vegas, Pulse Nightclub, Fort Hood, and so many more, the survivors are not kindergarten students, not parents, not adults, but 14-18 year olds, still children but articulate enough to express themselves in a moving way.
Maybe it’s different because unlike Columbine, this has continued, and continued, and continued for 18 years.
Maybe it’s the times we live in, with black lives matter, me too, and other movements, people are starting to speak out.
Or maybe this too shall pass.
Maybe nothing will be done.

At the same time we have an indictment charging Russians in exploiting the divisions in our country as a weapon against us.  They want to disrupt elections, but they also want to cultivate what is and always has been, great divisions between Americans.

I find myself torn as to how to react.
At the very time I want to lash out on social media against anyone opposed to common sense gun controls, I feel like I would be playing into the very plan of those who wish to further divide us.

It’s frustrating, and I’m not sure what to do.

I must speak out.
I should speak out.
But I will no longer entertain the social media rants of those who wish to sow division.
I will speak my mind and others are free to disagree, but I will not engage in social media war.
I do not claim to be sure of this decision, and I respect others who may feel I am off base, who may feel they should meet argument with argument.
I do not even claim that I will feel the same way in yet another week, but for now, I say enough.
Enough to the killings.
Enough to the mass shootings.
Enough to the social media divisions.
Enough.

I will express my options and others are free to agree or disagree.
I would be more than happy to meet “off line” to discuss and debate in a civil manner.
But I will not feed the monster that seeks to use social media to divide.
Enough.

No comments: