Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Thoughts over Ohio

As I fly on my way to Cincinnati with my union brother Harry, my thoughts turn to where I have been, both in the physical sense, and in life experiences.
I remember my first union trip and writing a blog on the plane ride home.

I traveled with Ole to DC and testified at the NLRB and spoke at the AFL-CIO.
I couldn't believe what was happening. I kept thinking, sooner or later, they'll realize who I really am, a nurse from Connecticut, not someone who testifies and speaks in DC.

There was a time when I felt like that about nursing. When I finished school and passed my boards, I thought, oh my God, what if they find out who I really am!
Now, after 16 years as an emergency room Registered Nurse, I know what I am capable of.  I'm not perfect, but I know I've played a role in saving the lives of trauma patients, the heart muscle of heart attack patients, the brain of stroke patients.
I also know I've comforted many families at their lowest points.

That trip to DC with Ole was many trips ago.
It's always an honor to represent the members of AFT whenever I have the opportunity.
So, traveling over the skies of Ohio, I asked myself, do I sometimes still think, "could all this be really happening to me?"
Sometimes.

But I've traveled a long way.  That feeling of being "found out" is gone.

I know I am good nurse and a good unionist.
There is nothing to "find out."
I live my life trying my best to respect and be of service to others.
That's who I am.
I don't do it perfect, but I try very hard.
And that is good enough.

No comments: