Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Thank you veterans

It's late, and I'm tired, and I want to be in bed, but I couldn't let Veterans Day go by without saying thank you to the men and women who serve or have served our country.

It is a country that sometimes seems hopeless, unable to get out of it's own way, unable to compromise enough in Washington to get much done, but it is at it's core, I believe, a country grateful to you.

We disagree to the extreme about so many issues: gun control, reproductive rights, the appropriate size and role of government, even our appropriate military role.
But we do so because we live in a country where free speech is a right protected above all else, a right you have fought to ensure.

Retired or active, facing combat or not, overseas or at home, you put us ahead of yourself, and there is no greater gift you can give your fellow man.

So yes, I am tired.  I imagine many of you are too. I imagine instead of a warm soft bed, many of you face or have faced, many cold nights in the field, with little rest.

May God bless you and your service, and may He keep you safe.
Thank you.


No comments: