Friday, April 22, 2011

Voted off the island


I was walking into work on Sunday with two LDRP nurses and one of them says, "let's hope for a good day" I replied, "I just hope no one dies."
But I'm getting ahead of myself, let me take you back .....
Kim is one of our most experienced nurses, years of Med Surg, Pediatric, CCU and ER experience, great under pressure, the perfect charge nurse.
But, she is a magnet for trouble!
Charge, triage, on the floor, it doesn't matter, a black cloud follows her. Two weekends ago we were crazy busy.  We blamed her and voted her off the island.
[Full disclosure, if Kim is a 10 on the magnet scale, then I'm at least a 7.]
On Saturday, Teri was charge and Kim and I were teamed together.
I know.....
what was Teri thinking?
The results were not good.  In our defense, you have to remember that people come to us because they are not in the best health.
So, it's Sunday morning, 7:15, Kim in charge, when our first code comes in. I don't know what it is about Sunday but things don't go right on Sundays.  Before our shift was over we had another code. 
Something had to be done so at the end of our shift the ED voted and both Kim and I were voted off the island.
People ask me what I think will be the outcome of our union vote on May 11. I think if everyone who has said that they would vote yes comes out and votes, then we'll win.
There is one thing I can be completely sure about, the nurses will get to determine our own fate, no one else, and that doesn't happen very often.

No comments: