Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Barbara and John

The other day a friend of mine went home to heaven.
Her name was Barbara Robinson and I had the distinct pleasure and privilege to work with her in the Emergency Department at Backus Hospital.  She was there as a nurse when I started as a nursing assistant and she watched, encouraged, and like so many other of my colleges, mentored me on my way to becoming an RN and afterwards.
We shared laughs and cries.
We shared friendship.

We also lost John McCain this week.
I didn’t know him but like you, I knew of him.
He was a war hero, a US Representative, and a Senator.
His politics were not mine, but he did save healthcare for hundreds of thousands of Americans with a dramatic thumbs down vote.
And he stood on principles above politics on more than one occasion, when very few others would.

It’s easy to see how the Senator influenced millions of people.
Maybe not as easy to see how Barbara did.
But between those she mentored and the patients and families she cared for, and her own family who she loved, Barb also influenced millions.

We are better for having both of them in our lives and we will miss them.
My friend Chuck, a Navy Corpsman, wished the Senator “fair seas and calm winds” on FB the other day.
I like that Chuck, I echo that farewell.
And Barb….
Your shift is over, your patients are safe, we’ll take it from here. Rest our sister.

Thank you both for your service.

No comments: