Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Paying it forward

Soon I will be boarding a plane, headed for Vancouver, Washington. 

There are a group of healthcare workers out there trying to claim their voice by organizing as an AFT local. 

My goal is to help out if I can, by sharing my experience. 

It wasn't all that long ago that we at Backus Hospital were in the same spot. 

We had lost our ability to advocate for our patients, our families and ourselves, because of changes at the hospital. 

But we stood up and stood together and AFT Local 5149, Backus Federation of Nurses, was formed. 

It wasn't easy, but we had help from other AFT locals, from Connecticut and beyond. 


That is why I'm going to Vancouver. 

It's time to pay it forward. 


I want to thank AFT for this opportunity, Jan for understanding the importance and asking me to go, and Michelle for her continued understanding. 

No comments: