Saturday, April 12, 2014

Finding time to write

I'm not sure if I've ever written a blog about the process of writing.
What makes one person want to sit with pen and paper, or at the keyboard, and put a piece of themselves out there for anyone who wants to see.
The explosion of social media proves that there are many who are drawn to it.
Others do it solely for themselves, in journals and diaries.
Both ways serve many purposes.
It's a form of self expression, like painting or singing.
It's a platform for one's beliefs.
It's a way of internally clarifying one's thoughts and feelings.
Sometimes, when I sit to write, I don't know where the writing will take me.  I don't know what the next sentence will be, until I write the one before.
Sometimes, I do know where I want to start and where I want to end, and the interesting part is getting from A to B.
I appreciate those who have elevated writing to an art form, those who's words are poetry, even if they are prose.
I also admire those who write often, such as those who write a daily blog.
My friend Bill Kenny is like that.
http://tiltingatwindmills-dweeb.blogspot.com
One of the best things for me is that writing forces me to slow down, to look inside, and to remember that as busy as I am, as important as all the tasks of my daily life may be, the world will go on if I take the time to write, or rest, or enjoy.
  

No comments: