Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Maybe it IS a vacation

My last blog was about vacations, which was timely because....
Well, I'm on vacation.

I have 2 weeks off and I'll be doing some traveling.
You know the old question, "business or pleasure?"
I think there should be a third choice.
Today I head for Baltimore with our Vice President, our Political Liaison, and our A4 delegate for 3 days of meetings and classes as representatives of the Backus Nurses. These gatherings provide education and networking that are critical when we need to reach out to other locals or our state or national leadership for assistance.
I cannot tell you what a blessing it is to be able to call Washington and ask for Mary McDonald, the directer of AFT Healthcare, and hear,

"AFT, good morning, how can I help you?"
"Good morning, is Mary McDonald in?"
"Whom can I say is calling?"
"John Brady, from the Backus Nurses"
"Hello John, I'll put you though"
"Hi John, it's Mary, how are things in Connecticut?"

I'll be back in time for a workers memorial service in Groton on Sunday and an executive board meeting on Wednesday and then it's off to Florida for 3 days for a niece's college graduation.